Monday, October 30, 2017

2nd Intermediate - example of interaction

Here is an example of what could be the first part of your exam.


HOLIDAY ACCOMMODATION
You and your friend are looking for accommodation for your holiday in Malta this summer.
Talk to your friend and reach an agreement about:
• type of accommodation
• location
• meals

CANDIDATE A
• YOU PREFER TO GO TO A HOTEL
• YOU PREFER TO STAY IN THE CENTRE OF THE CITY
• YOU PREFER TO HAVE BREAKFAST AND DINNER AT THE HOTEL


CANDIDATE B
• YOU PREFER TO RENT AN APARTMENT
• YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A NICE VIEW
• YOU PREFER TO HAVE DINNER OUT
 
Consider this outline
A. Hi ….. Have you thought about …? I have found ….            
B. Well, I’ve been searching …. And as for …, I believe the best option for us is ….
A. I don’t know. I would prefer to…. I’ve found ….  This way ….. Otherwise, we would .…
B. But, if we …, we can ….   …, isn’t it?
A. Yes, that’s true. I …. either/too. However, I still consider …. What we can do is …. Would that be ok?
B. Yes. But on one condition. …. I don’t want to ….. I …... I need something different during my holidays.
A. All right, I’ve already …. and I’ll….
B. Don’t forget to ask about …. too. It would be useful to …. Besides, we don’t want to …..
A. That’s a good point.
B. And just in case you …., I’ll …..
A. Ok. But not …. Pay special attention to …. We don’t want to be limited by ….
B. All right. I’m really looking forward to ….
A. Me too. It’s been some time since I last …. and I want to ….

Here is a complete example of an interaction

A. Hi ….. Have you thought about our holidays in Malta? I have found some interesting information.
B. Well, I’ve been searching the Internet too. As for accommodation, I think the best option for us is renting a small flat in a nice area with beautiful views.
A. I don’t know. I would prefer to stay in a hotel with all the meals included. I’ve found some real bargains. This way we only have to enjoy ourselves and do nothing else. Otherwise we would have to cook or clean…
B. But, if we have our own flat, we can eat whatever we want. Sometimes hotel food is awful, isn’t it?
A. Yes, that’s true. I’m not very keen on hotel food either. However, I still consider staying in a hotel is more convenient. What we can do is just have breakfast in the hotel and maybe eat dinner and lunch out. Would that be ok?
B. Yes. But on one condition. Our room must have nice views. I don’t want to get up and see a car park or a wall through the windows. I see that every day at home. I need something different during my holidays.
A. All right, I’ve already found some nice hotels in the centre and I’ll send some emails to ask about the rooms.
B. Don’t forget to ask about the views and the area too. It would be useful to know if there are any restaurants nearby. Besides, we don’t want to be walking around the city without knowing where we are going trying to find a decent place to have dinner.
A. That’s a good point.
B. And just in case you don’t find something nice in the centre, I’ll try to find something in the outskirts.
A. Ok. But not too far from the centre. Pay special attention to transport. We don’t want to be limited by transport timetables.
B. All right. I’m really looking forward to our trip.
B. Me too. It’s been some time since I last travelled abroad and I want to improve my English.


No comments:

Post a Comment